We just finished dying eggs half hour ago. I, personaly don't like eggs at all but everyone else in my family loves them. They're fun to dye anyways. Miki, your eggs are fantastic looking!
Printable View
We just finished dying eggs half hour ago. I, personaly don't like eggs at all but everyone else in my family loves them. They're fun to dye anyways. Miki, your eggs are fantastic looking!
Eggs seem to have a love/hate relationship. Either you love them, or hate them.
Personally I love them! I love hard boiled eggs, and cooked eggs and egg salad, etc. The only type of eggs I'm really not too fond of is scrambled eggs, and with that includes omlettes. I'd much rather have sunny side up eggs (even though the yolk is not good for you raw-but well, I've been eating eggs like that for 23 years, and nothing happened to me.)
My favorite is hard boiled eggs dipped in salt water, just like at our Pesach sedar.
-Jordyn
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those are some of the prettiest eggs I have ever seen! I think next year we might go the natural route! [img]tongue.gif[/img]Quote:
Originally posted by Miki_:
My sister and Kamilla dyed Easter eggs yesterday, using our traditional methods of using onion peels, grasses, blossoms, logwood (dyes blue), sappan wood (dyes a purplish red) and pieces of eggshell (to keep white spots on the eggs.
Here's a picture what they looked like last year:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../Easter061.jpg
I hate Eggs! It hink that they are only good in cake! HOwever, I LOVE dying them at Easter. I have 3 dozen dyed eggs in my frig and I wont eat a single one. My DH loves egg salad-so Ill make it for him. I assume by next week he'll have had his fill. I think that traditions are what make us what we are, without traditions we have no glue to keep us grounded.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't even like them baked in anything! We always use ground flax seed insetad. It works better to.Quote:
Originally posted by crsanthmum:
I hate Eggs! It hink that they are only good in cake! HOwever, I LOVE dying them at Easter. I have 3 dozen dyed eggs in my frig and I wont eat a single one. My DH loves egg salad-so Ill make it for him. I assume by next week he'll have had his fill. I think that traditions are what make us what we are, without traditions we have no glue to keep us grounded.
I agree with what you said about traditions. Some traditions I hate but would be lost without them.... i.e. Christmas.
No, I didn't die any eggs this year. But, I did dye a few. [img]wink.gif[/img]
*ducks out of the way* [img]redface.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Swings fist wildly.Quote:
Originally posted by lacherig:
No, I didn't die any eggs this year. But, I did dye a few. [img]wink.gif[/img]
*ducks out of the way* [img]redface.gif[/img]
Awww... shucks I missed.
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
I can't remmeber same words. My brain is limited..... what can I say?? [img]redface.gif[/img]
[quote]Originally posted by FelinaDoon:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most of the ingrediences for dying the eggs this way you find in your kitchen and garden. We collect onion skins (just the dry yellow skins) for months, which she then cuts into small pieces before usage, also collecting some egg shell pieces. The logwood and brazil wood we buy at the drugstore which comes in 'sawdust' form, here's a link to a US seller. We use yarrow, daisies, violets etc. from the garden - depends how early/late Easter is and what is already available.Quote:
Originally posted by Miki_:
[QB]My sister and Kamilla dyed Easter eggs yesterday, using our traditional methods of using onion peels, grasses, blossoms, logwood (dyes blue), sappan wood (dyes a purplish red) and pieces of eggshell (to keep white spots on the eggs.
They are beautiful - WHere do you get the things to dye them and how do you do it?????
You will also need some cotton/linen sqares and string.
On the fabric square you place some onion skins; if you want to keep some white spots 'glue' some of the egg shells on the egg using eggwhite, also the grasses and blossoms; then add a bit of the logwood and/or brazil wood, cover the egg with some more onion peels and then wrap and tie it. Place the eggs in a saucepan/pot with cold water and start boiling it - once it boils, cook the eggs for 10 minutes, then pour off the hot water, cool with cold water - disregard all the 'stuff'. With a little oil or leftover bacon rind give the eggs a nice polish. Voil?!
We did dye eggs this year - and we all LOVE to eat them. yum yum [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
If you hide them, just make sure you keep track of them. Once when I was a kid, one egg wasn't found - until it was too late. Not yum yum [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
Yes, I dyed some Pysanky (Ukranian Easter Eggs) last week. I only had time for three, though, but wanted to do something to continue with traditions. Lol, just don't tell my RA- we're not supposed to have candles in our dorm rooms. I'll post some pictures when I post pics of my new dolls.
Edit: If you like dying eggs, but don't like eating them, try blowing out the eggshells. A little, simple-looking egg blower costs about eight dollars and is a great help. It basically helps you blow the insides out of a raw egg. That way, you can keep your artwork for years. They're really delicate, but at least if one gets broken it doesn't smell rotten-eggy... You can also make them into cool decorations then by stringing ribbons through the holes and hanging the eggs in groups, or hanging them from an "egg tree."
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 19, 2006 03:44 PM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>